Upon her lips
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A humble listing of female characters from a variety of media, whose kiss produces adverse effects on their victims.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Swayze

Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere Empty
PostSubject: Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere   Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 5:54 pm

First of all, hello there from the long time lurker/first time poster!

Anyway, I noticed that most (if not all) of the entries in the 'Literature' sub-forum are fanfics. While there's nothing wrong with that (I enjoy reading those), I thought it may be a good time to bring some actual book in here, and from a brilliant novelist no less. Without further ado:

Name: Lamia
Book: Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
Kiss effect: heat siphon/freeze
Contact method: direct

---

(...)
Door and Hunter went around the curve in front of them, and were out of sight.

“You know,” said Richard, “the other two are getting a bit ahead of us. We might want to hurry.”

“Let them go,” she said, gently. “We’ll catch up.”

It was, thought Richard, peculiarly like going to a movie with a girl as a teenager. Or rather, like walking home afterwards: stopping at bus shelters, or beside walls, to snatch a kiss, a hasty fumble of skin and a tangle of tongues, then hurrying on to catch up with your friends . . .

Lamia ran a cold finger down his cheek. “You’re so warm,” she said, admiringly. “It must be wonderful to have so much warmth.”

Richard tried to look modest. “It’s not something I think about much, really,” he admitted. He heard, distantly, from above, the metallic slam of the elevator door.

Lamia looked up at him, pleadingly, sweetly. “Would you give me some of your heat, Richard?” she asked. “I’m so cold.”

Richard wondered if he should kiss her. “What? I . . .”

She looked disappointed. “Don’t you like me?” she asked. He hoped, desperately, that he had not hurt her feelings.

“Of course I like you,” he heard his voice saying. “You’re very nice.”

“And you aren’t using all your heat, are you?” she pointed out, reasonably.

“I suppose not . . .”

“And you said you’d pay me for being your guide. And it’s what I want, as my payment. Warmth. Can I have some?”

Anything she wanted. Anything. The honeysuckle and the lily of the valley wrapped around him, and his eyes saw nothing but her pale skin and her dark plum-bloom lips, and her jet black hair. He nodded. Somewhere inside him something was screaming; but whatever it was, it could wait. She reached up her hands to his face and pulled it gently down toward her. Then she kissed him, long and languorously. There was a moment of initial shock at the chill of her lips, and the cold of her tongue, and then he succumbed to her kiss entirely.

After some time, she pulled back.

He could feel the ice on his lips. He stumbled back against the wall. He tried to blink, but his eyes felt as if they were frozen open. She looked up at him and smiled delightedly, her skin flushed and pink and her lips, scarlet; her breath steamed in the cold air. She licked her red lips with a warm crimson tongue. His world began to go dark. He thought he saw a black shape at the edge of his vision.

“More,” she said. And she reached out to him.

(...)

---

Sadly, the 'More' part never happened, as Richard was saved by marquis de Carabas, but overall, a very enjoyable scene. It's in the 15th chapter of the book, if someone is looking for the full version. You might want to read the entire book while you're at it, it's really good.

Cheers! Smile
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere   Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 8:19 pm

Nice to see a professional's take on this concept. And welcome to the forum (sorry for the late response.)
Back to top Go down
https://uponherlips.forumotion.com
LazyAlex

LazyAlex

PostSubject: Re: Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere   Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 12:34 am

It's a really good book it was also a tv mini-series(my reason for buying the book) one of the last shows I got to watch back back when I was in the UK with pops
Back to top Go down
ShadithBro

ShadithBro

PostSubject: Re: Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere   Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 11:29 pm

it happens in episode 5 of the live action version if anyone is interested
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere   Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere Empty

Back to top Go down

Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Upon her lips :: Upon Her Lips :: Literature-
Jump to: