Upon her lips
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A humble listing of female characters from a variety of media, whose kiss produces adverse effects on their victims.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Grass growing on rocks.

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
SoloWingPixy

SoloWingPixy

Grass growing on rocks. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grass growing on rocks.   Grass growing on rocks. - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 4:19 am

Toushiko gave a nod. "Yeah, chains." She looked up and scanned the horizon for a few moments. "They're pretty tough to see right now, but if we kept walking, we'd be able to see 'em for sure." She looked back down at Senah. "Just, uh...imagine these big ol' things, and I mean huge, every link pulsin' with energy. The first link's buried right in the ground we walk on, and the chain goes up, and up, and up, until it disappears through the smoke up there." The oni tilted her head toward the 'sky' for emphasis. "I dunno why they're there, but they've got people checkin' them out all the time." She shrugged. "Makin' sure they work, I guess? Who knows."

Toushiko chuckled as she turned back toward the market. "But enough about that. Let's get to the good stuff, already! Through the market we go!" With that, she practically skipped forward, more than eager to see what new wares had popped up in her absence. Unfortunately, her excitement quickly deflated like a balloon when she suddenly remembered something very important: she'd left all her new loot behind in the tunnel in order to carry Senah.

Inwardly, Toushiko groaned. Right, she'd forgotten that little detail, hadn't she...well, there went this month's profits. Still, it would be too mean to go back on her promise and tell Senah that she couldn't have anything. She'd just have to hope that Senah's tastes weren't too expensive, she supposed.

Now with considerably less enthusiasm, Toushiko walked through the market's packed streets, moving slowly enough for Senah to get a good idea of what each stall held before moving on.

...Well, that was the idea, anyway. In practice, there were so many different things vying for Senah's attention that she found it quite difficult to figure out what was being sold at any given stall, if she even recognized the items in the first place. The sounds of countless different voices constantly rang in her ears, buying, selling, and bartering in languages she didn't understand. She kept seeing new kinds of creatures left and right, and unfamiliar yet enticing scents of food wafted through her nostrils and made her stomach growl.

And the variety of goods on display was incredible! Senah spotted all kinds of different stalls, with all manner of vendor behind them: there was a robed bull-headed man selling various pointed and sharpened tools, many of which were completely unfamiliar to Senah; a skeletal woman who looked like an animated corpse selling thick books, some of which were somehow floating of their own accord; and even what seemed to be a strange, floating ball of fire, apparently dealing in softly glowing crystals that gave Senah a headache to look at.

One stall that caught her eye actually had an oni standing behind it, apparently selling some kind of cooked meat on a thick skewer. The aroma of plentiful spices and herbs mixed in with the meat made Senah's mouth water, and she was almost tempted to ask Toushiko to stop here before she noticed that every skewer seemed to be adorned with a skull on the top...a human skull. And when the oni cook met Senah's eyes, he leered at her and gestured between her and one of the skulls with his cleaver.

Okay...maybe not that one.

Senah kept browsing the stalls as Toushiko continued walking through the market. The oni was mostly keeping quiet, being just as preoccupied scanning the available wares as Senah was. As they made their way through, a lanky figure whose cloak covered its body and dragged across the ground hurriedly walked over to them. Its single orange eye glowed ominously as it stared at Senah for a moment, before it quickly looked up at Toushiko and began chittering in a strange tongue. It pointed at Senah with one spindly hand, and jangled a heavy sack of coins with the other. Toushiko's only response was to give an icy glare and a threatening growl to the newcomer.

hello-life-holder

Senah froze.

Who...what was that? Did she suddenly just hear a voice in her head, or was she imagining things?

She looked up at Toushiko, but the oni was too busy dealing with the one-eyed trafficker to notice. They'd moved on to arguing, with the creature apparently not willing to take no for an answer.

you-trap-here-too-life-holder-?

There it was again! What was that?! It couldn't have been the trafficker harassing them, right? It sounded like the high-pitched voice of a young girl, but at the same time utterly mechanical and lifeless. It sounded from right inside her own head, coming from no direction at all. Just what was going on...?

please-stop-ignore

Senah hurriedly scanned the stalls, trying to see if the voice was coming from one of the vendors, trying to see if someone was looking at her, trying to find something... That was when she suddenly noticed something peculiar about the stall right next to them.

Sitting near the front against the wall was a wooden doll, its once-brilliant red dress now tattered and filthy, its blonde hair falling in a matted mess over the blank expression on its face. It was limply slumped forward, its arms dangling uselessly at its sides, and its eyes were turned to stare directly at Senah.

very-lonely-please-stay

Senah nearly jumped when Toushiko gave an angry shout above her. She glanced up, and saw the one-eyed trafficker finally storming off, its bag of coins clutched tight in its gnarled fingers. "No means no, you fucking prick," Toushiko hissed. She took a deep breath, and sighed. "Anyway...we've gone through a pretty good chunk a' the market so far. Y'see anythin' ya like yet, kiddo?"

<<That kind of midara...they call a Demon Lord.>>
Back to top Go down
Dataslycer

Dataslycer

PostSubject: Re: Grass growing on rocks.   Grass growing on rocks. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 12, 2018 10:11 pm

She wasn't exactly aware of the sudden lack of Toushiko's sudden lack of enthusiasm though her attention was held onto the various wares that the entire marketplace was offering. So many that she is forced to single out things that she would not likely to be interested in. The first were the food, some looks pretty declious...well not the one that had human skull. Even she would not resort to cannibalism by choice and this is coming from someone that eats baked crickets. Especially not from someone that is looking at her as if she is the meal rather than the customer...

The minotaur's ware does interest her as well as she also likes practical things as well especially when it is made of metal, something that she herself is lacking in her normal inventory. Wooden tools are something she always carry but metal tools are more sturdier, if not heavier at least for the more common ones and she wasn't going to make Toushiko buy a mithril tool. In contrast, the one that looks like a lich, her wares are not something she wanted, not because of her appearance or the wares but her abilities more aligned with nature rather than the arcane.

They came upon some odd creature before the finger was pointed at her and then the coin...wait was it trying to buy her?! Judging by Toushiko's response, she knew the oni isn't going to have any of-....what was that? She heard a voice but knew it wasn't either from Toushiko or that weird one-eyed trafficker. It was then that she saw the doll. Was that the source? Life holder? Why is it that you call me that? Who are you? She asked. She wasn't exactly telepathic herself but figured if someone is talking into her mind, that would be the way to respond.

She was so busy with trying to figure what is going on that she didn't realize that Toushiko was talking to her until she was address. "Huh? Oh..." She glances up at the stand that the doll was residing at. "What does this one hold?" Aside from this one, she also had the mind to go back to the minotaur later and maybe something for both her and Toushiko.

((Sorry for late response. Recovering from illness so some of my words might not make sense))
Back to top Go down
SoloWingPixy

SoloWingPixy

PostSubject: Re: Grass growing on rocks.   Grass growing on rocks. - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2018 3:08 am

The doll's glass eyes continued to stare at Senah, slightly shifting in their sockets to keep her in sight. She wasn't exactly sure how to respond to its "words", but hopefully if the doll could speak through her mind, it could listen through it as well. There was a moment of silence before it answered matter-of-factly.

you-life-holder-because-you-hold-life

It "spoke" its words in a strange manner, though rather than Akane's simple lack of expertise with the language, this seemed to be more of a speech impediment than anything else, given how fast the doll's words flowed.

i-also-life-holder-but-different

The doll's eyes slowly, almost imperceptibly, began to drift down to stare at the floor.

no-other-life-holder-here-only-life-taker

The doll's words might have sounded morose to Senah's ears, had they had any emotion in them at all. Instead, they were completely flat, lacking any tone or inflection.

hate-down-want-go-back-up

Senah blinked and realized that Toushiko had been glancing uncertainly at the stall she'd pointed to for some time. "Uh...not sure, really. Looks like a bunch a' random stuff to me. Why, did somethin' catch your eye?" The oni looked down at her, and grinned. "Well, let's go ahead and take a look!"

Luckily, the stall only had one other patron at the moment, so the two were able to get an unobstructed view of the goods on display. The vendor, a man wearing full plate armor that completely obscured his features, was busy apparently trying to sell a poleaxe to another pitch-black, wolf-like woman who seemed less than interested.

Indeed, the weapon seemed to match some of his selection, with a good variety of medieval weaponry and shields hung on racks near the back of the stall. As Senah looked closer to the front, however, it was clear that this knight was rather eclectic in his choice of wares: on one wall were scrolls and books whose ink gave off an occasional glow, and on the other appeared to be various accessories and knick-knacks that wouldn't look out of place among Toushiko's belongings. Among them were an old and rusted iron mask, a small pile of faded storybooks written in English, and an unfamiliar potted plant that seemed to be in the care of someone who had immense difficulty with the concept of botany. The petals of its once-beautiful scarlet flowers were sagging and withered, the soil hard and dry. The doll sat on the counter against the same wall, its appearance every bit as sorry-looking as the flowers.

Toushiko's uncertainty only grew as she took a good look over the available wares. "I, uh...you sure it was this one, kid? I mean, I don't wanna judge, but this doesn't look like it's got much to it..." She glanced over to the side. "How 'bout we get a place with good food, instead? I'm sure we'll find somethin' you like in no time!"

The doll's eyes snapped back to Senah in response. Its words were panicked, but its tone was as emotionless as ever.

no-no-no-stay-stay-stay-hate-red-big-life-taker-but-like-you-because-you-life-holder

Back to top Go down
Dataslycer

Dataslycer

PostSubject: Re: Grass growing on rocks.   Grass growing on rocks. - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2018 6:03 pm

Senah wasn't sure on how to answer the doll. Life holders and life taker. Toushikou is a life taker and the doll is a life holder? She wasnot sure what they mean but the implication makes it sound that the latter is a bad thing.

Yet, had it not been for Toushiko, she would have died at the foot of the drop of the cave or even worse if it was someone particularly cruel and keeping her alive for fates worse than death...or sell her to the traficker just moments ago.

The next words forms in her mind I do not know what life holder or life taker is but the red one saved my life from death though when it would be easier to take it. That is she offers me subsenance and shelter while I was weak. It was then that she decided that she needed answers as well. But what are you?

Her eyes move from the doll she was communicating to towards the ware which does seem to be more paraphenalias than anything, not even tools sadly. Though she did eye the flower briefly, wanting to try to stir more life into it but it was very far gone and the hostile environment may have been a factor. Senah could do nothing for it.

She turned towards Toushiko as she speaks of food. "What is it that they serve here? I was hoping to find some small metal tools for gardening, wooden ones that I make may not be strong enough."

((Sorry about the delay.))
Back to top Go down
SoloWingPixy

SoloWingPixy

PostSubject: Re: Grass growing on rocks.   Grass growing on rocks. - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2018 7:00 pm

The doll slightly tilted its head in confusion, though if Senah didn't know better, she'd have dismissed it as its head simply sagging under its own weight.

but-down-bad-up-good

people-live-here-bad-so-all-life-taker

you-look-from-up-so-good-but-red-life-taker-live-here-so-bad

red-life-taker-trick-you-fill-you-up-then-eat-you

There was a notable pause before the doll spoke again.

i-from-up-had-good-friend-wanted-make-all-happy

she-not-life-holder-but-life-giver

Its eyes quickly glanced up at the knightly vendor, still trying unsuccessfully to pawn off his wares to the uninterested wolf-woman.

armored-life-taker-attack-steal-me-take-down-now-trapped

he-not-know-i-life-holder-because-i-stay-still-pretend-no-life

Once more, the doll's eyes drifted back down.

not-talk-about-home-for-long-time

Almost imperceptibly, the doll trembled.

want-go-home

The doll's head hung low, its ragged hair spilling over its glass eyes.

want-go-home-want-go-home-want-go-home-want-go-home-want-go...

The doll quietly continued its mantra in Senah's head as Toushiko considered the answer to her question. "Weeeell...from what I saw, there's a pretty good variety out there, food-wise. Lots of different kinds of meat, that's for sure. I noticed an oni near the entrance sellin' some other stuff, good ol' classic cuisine like seafood 'n' noodles. Beats me where he managed to get that," she said with a chuckle. "But, uh, in terms of more vegetarian stuff..." The oni shrugged. "Sorry, kid. Not too much of that down here, at least not that you should eat. There's occasionally a vendor sellin' stuff like that they got from the surface, but it's usually pretty damned overpriced."

Toushiko turned around, scanning for the stall ran by the minotaur-looking creature. "As for tools, I think I saw a guy sellin' stuff like that earlier. He had a lotta weird stuff, but he's probably got some gardenin' implement stashed somewhere in the back," she said, turning back toward Senah. "So, where-to first, kid? Food, or tools?" She glanced back up at their current with a skeptical raise of her eyebrow. "I, uh, don't think there's much for us here..."

(It's nothing to worry about, really! I mean, you know how slow I usually update, so this is nothin'.)

Back to top Go down
Dataslycer

Dataslycer

PostSubject: Re: Grass growing on rocks.   Grass growing on rocks. - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 19, 2018 2:33 am

From what she can piece together from the doll's fragmented speech, apparently she was taken here against her will and to be sold here. Senah could buy her and get her away from this place. No offense to Toushiko but this place isn't the most envorinemental hospitable to anything, the dying plant at the vendor is a testimony to that.

I may be able to get you up to the surface but you will have to tolerate the red one for a while since she has the money to buy you, not me. Plus I am heavily wounded from the fall.

She isn't too worried about Toushiko's presense honestly and can read her decently. There has been a bit too many opportunity for her to have taken advantage of her and the oni did not take it. Not to mention that she is willing to buy things for her! However two things did concerned the plant-user: how the doll would react to the constant presense of Toushiko being a life-taker.

Life-taker, suddenly a thought crossed her mind about the word. Wait, life-taker? Are you talking about eating-meat? That did concerns her a bit. Although plants make much of her diet, she is actually omnivorous and that might frighten the doll. If that is the case and the doll refuses her presense, there is nothing she can do.

"I was wonder about the doll actually, used to have one like that back at home." She is actually drawing things out a bit to give the doll a chance to reply. "For food, I am not strictly vegetarian even if I do have a lot of seeds with me so seafood does sound nice and I do not want you to overspend on my behalf. Do we have enough for both though?" She is concerned about Toushiko's budget, not even aware of the oni's dilemma from sacrificing her loot to save her.
Back to top Go down
SoloWingPixy

SoloWingPixy

PostSubject: Re: Grass growing on rocks.   Grass growing on rocks. - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 24, 2018 10:21 pm

In the most sudden movement Senah had seen from the doll so far, its head jerked up slightly at the mention of being brought up to the surface.

yes-please-yes-please-take-back-home-hate-here-thank-you-please-friend-so-worried-want-see-her-again-want-see-them-again-want-see-sky-again-want-see-sun-again-want-see—

The doll paused its newly enthusiastic mantra, as if to consider Senah's next question.

life-taker-not-mean-eat-meat-never-seen-armored-life-taker-eat-anything

eat-mean-nothing-friend-life-giver-never-eat-either

The doll's eyes shifted toward the ground, the ash and stone beneath Senah's feet.

friend-taught-all-life-holders-grow-from-earth

i-given-life-from-earth-so-i-life-holder

Senah suddenly felt a faint numbing sensation in the back of her head, which disappeared after only a moment.

feel-earth-inside-you-so-you-life-holder-too

no-earth-life-down-here-so-no-life-holders-only-life-takers

The doll slowly looked back up at the armored vendor, who'd finally given up on his attempts to pawn off his wares on the wolf-woman and was currently eyeing Toushiko and Senah in what he probably thought could be considered subtle.

please-hurry-take-away-soon-cannot-stop-shaking-longer

Toushiko's eyebrows raised in surprise. "The doll? Gonna be honest, I wasn't expectin' that one," she remarked. "I'd have thought you'd go for the flower, if anything. Well, guess it just goes to show how much I've still got to learn about ya," she said, shrugging. "But, it makes sense. A nice little reminder a' home, eh?"

Inwardly, Toushiko breathed a sigh of relief as she waved to get the vendor's attention. The sad-looking doll was hardly going to make a dent in this month's income, even with a few weeks' worth of loot having been left behind.

The vendor approached them perhaps a little too eagerly, and as Senah looked him over, she realized that she couldn't actually see anything underneath his plates of layered armor. Even the slits in his helmet's visor held only darkness within, as if there wasn't anyone living underneath the armor at all.

Even though both her hands were busy holding Senah, Toushiko managed to shift her grip to grab the coin purse at her side, while nodding her head toward the doll. The knight followed her gaze, and did a double-take. "Ah...the doll? Are you sure, Miss Oni?" He asked uncertainly, holding his arm out toward the back of his stall. "If you'd prefer, I have many powerful weapons suitable for one so strong as yourself to choose from!" When it was obvious that yes, Toushiko really did want the doll, he paused for a moment as he regarded the poor little thing. "Erm...well, it is, ah, only natural that you'd see its true value, of course." He roughly seized it with one hand, holding it up closer for Toushiko to see.

no-no-no-hurts-hurts-please-stop-stop-stop

He gestured toward the seemingly inanimate doll with his other hand. "You see, this doll is actually a strange artifact from the surface! Capable of moving, walking, talking, and of course, helping you in combat! Fast, deadly, this little devil of a doll will serve you in any way you demand it to! You just have, to, ah..." He looked from Toushiko to the doll. "...unlock its magical potential, yes. One I'm sure someone as well-traveled as you would easily be able to take care of, yes? 40 onje seems like more than a fair price, with that in mind."

Toushiko rolled her eyes. "Riiiight. I'm sure that doll's just brimming with power," she said, sarcasm positively dripping from her voice. "It's definitely not just some toy you found on the ground somewhere that you're tryin' to trick an oni into buyin' for more than its fair price. You know it's not worth more than 10 onje, and that's bein' generous."

The knight held up his hands in defense. "No, really! It is alive!" He insisted. "Look!" He set the doll down on the stall, where it promptly buckled under its own weight. He lifted its head with one hand, and began to flick its head with the other. "Come out, little one," he muttered. "Move for me, and you'll go free."

wait

really-?

The knight gave no indication that he'd heard the doll. He shifted his grip to its body and started flicking it with greater force, throwing its head back with every strike of his steel-plated fingers.

stop-please-hurt-much-stop-make-him-stop

Toushiko growled. "All right, you've had your fun, buddy. It obviously ain't movin', and you're drivin' down the value every time ya damage it. 8 onje, and that's all I'm givin' ya."

The knight looked back at Toushiko, and after a moment, his shoulders sagged in defeat. "Fine, fine. Yes, it is as you say, this doll doesn't seem to be moving anytime in the near future. I'll take your price. But!" He held up one finger. "I swear to you, there is something strange about that doll. When I first saw it, it had been moving quite freely, even flying through the air!" He laid his hand over his chestplate. "As a fellow construct myself, my curiosity was immediately piqued. I wanted to know what made that doll move, what magic could have possibly given it more life than gears and machinery ever could."

He held out one hand to take Toushiko's money, and held out the doll with the other. "Please, if you ever manage to find out what powers that doll, I implore you to tell me what secrets lie behind its wooden figure. I promise you, I will make it well worth your time!"

Toushiko glanced back up at him, her unimpressed opinion of his "promise" plain to see on her face. "Right...well, see ya, buddy," she said, waving dismissively as she turned back and started walking away from the stall. "Guessin' his business ain't doin' so well," she muttered, turning the doll over in her hand. She looked back down at Senah, and chuckled. "Well, at least we got what we came for. Happy birthday, kid! We'll go get the food for ya next—I ain't too hungry, so no need to worry there—but before that, do ya want me to put that in your backpack, or should I just give it to ya to hold?"

Back to top Go down
Dataslycer

Dataslycer

PostSubject: Re: Grass growing on rocks.   Grass growing on rocks. - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 17, 2018 5:27 pm

Senah was a bit surprised when she felt a brief sensation within the back of her head but held back a startled reaction.  Aparently the doll was only peering within her at something, though she wasn't sure what was looked at but no harm was done but she surmise that the doll may have some other forms of power related to nature, though that will have to wait later.

Personally she felt a bit remorse at the doll's plight, not able to see the sky feel fertile earth.  Senah herself wasn't as affected but that is more because she's been here a lot shorter than the doll herself whom has been there for a long time that she doesn't know. We will return upward and see nature on the surface again. She assured the doll. They both have the same desire.

Her thought was interrupted by the vendor that looks a bit like either an animated armor and Senah tries to peer at different angle to see what is underneath.  It was when the vendor started trying to sales pitch the doll to something it doesn't do (though unaware that he is closer to the truth about it being alive).  If it wasn't that she is directly communicating with her, she would have found the tale a bit farfetched as well.

It was when the vendor start shaking it around roughly and the anguish pain heard that she winces a bit, though it was potentionally mistaken that the vendor was damaging it that it is messing up her souvenir. She was thankful that it was stopped though but is definitely not going to tell him of what she knows.

She gave a smile to Toushiko.  "Thank you for the gift.  I think I will hold onto it."  Her backpack would make too much movement which can harm the doll.  She takes the doll gratefully but also being careful not to further deteriorate her condition.  Hopefully she can figure how to mend her.  "Well, you can enjoy yourself with food as well but it's alright."  She responded cheerfully.

Thankfully Toushiko was able to talk that seller down.  Are you alright?  That seller really handled your roughly.  Is there a way to help your condition?  The doll's safety and health was a priority in regards to her, but Senah knew little to nothing about taking care of dolls and the little she knew that made her very careful to the point that she is handling a newborn.
Back to top Go down
SoloWingPixy

SoloWingPixy

PostSubject: Re: Grass growing on rocks.   Grass growing on rocks. - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2018 1:09 am

Toushiko nodded. "Right, then," she said, carefully handing the doll to Senah. Just as before, it was completely limp, looking to all the world like a lifeless toy. "And now, without further ado..." She turned around toward the end of the market. "To the food!" she cheerfully announced, heading off in that direction.

It wasn't until the armored vendor was completely out of sight that the doll dared to slowly move its eyes up to look at its rescuer. It was silent for a good while before cautiously wrapping its arms around Senah's hand, seemingly trying to disguise its movements to Toushiko. Senah could feel it trembling against her skin.

thank-you-thank-you-thank-you-thank-you-thank-you-thank-you-thank-you

It took a few more moments for the doll to calm down, its trembles slowly fading as it eased itself into Senah's careful hold. As it adjusted itself, Senah noticed the torn remains of some kind of transparent material hanging limply from holes in the back of its tattered dress, originating from what felt like indentations in the wood.

armored-life-taker-hurt-but-okay-nothing-more-broken

not-know-how-fix-always-had-friend-life-giver-fix

friend-can-fix-when-come-back-up

The doll subtly nuzzled its head closer to Senah's fingers.

thank-you-for-bring-up-with-you

you-good-friend-just-like-friend-life-giver-and-big-friend

The doll paused for a moment, seemingly thinking about something.

all-friend-have-name-what-your-name-?

Toushiko looked down at Senah cradling the doll in her hand. She was being pretty quiet...well, it wasn't like the oni had really been trying to open up much of a conversation, either. She figured the girl would want some peace and quiet while she held onto the one reminder she had of home, so Toushiko decided to leave her be until she had the food in hand.

Which, as it turned out, came sooner rather than later, with the stall promising seafood quickly coming into view. As Toushiko had surmised earlier, it was a fairly quiet day at the market, and while that didn't seem to mean much for the majority of it, there weren't too many kinds of creatures in the Underworld interested in seafood to begin with. As a result, most of the people sitting around the stall were oni, with a few humans scattered about, their visible armor and weaponry making it clear that they knew what they had gotten themselves into.

The blue-skinned oni standing at the counter gave Toushiko a strange look as she approached, eyeing the human in her arms questioningly. After a moment, he shrugged, then took their order as normal. Toushiko nodded in thanks as he went in the back to prepare the food, then glanced down at Senah. "Okay, I'm gonna let you down so ya don't have to try 'n' eat in my arms, all right?" she said, chuckling. "I'd, uh, rather we didn't spill the food everywhere, y'know."

As carefully as she could manage, Toushiko shifted her hold until Senah was upright, then slowly sat her down at one of the stools near the counter, making sure not to let her foot bump against anything or touch the ground during the process. Once Toushiko was sure Senah wasn't going to fall off and break her other foot, or something equally disastrous, the oni slid onto the stool next to her. "So," Toushiko began, turning toward Senah. "How are ya doin' so far? I noticed you kinda seemed out of it while we were walkin' here." She shrugged. "Maybe it was just me, but if there's anything—and I mean anything—that's causin' ya trouble, just tell me, all right?" She chuckled. "You're no oni, so don't try and tough it out on your own. I'm always here for ya."

Back to top Go down
Dataslycer

Dataslycer

PostSubject: Re: Grass growing on rocks.   Grass growing on rocks. - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 01, 2018 5:46 pm

I'm Senah, nice to meet you.  The one carrying me is Toushiko.  She might seem scary but is actually very nice.  I am glad that you were not hurt more than was before. What is your name?  She closes her eyes before thinking.  Had Toushiko and her not had appeared for the doll as it did, she didn't want to imagine what fate awaited the little one.  Her gaze moves to the back of the doll where something was draw out from the opening.  
If we make it to the surface, do you know where your friend lives?  

Senah must have been more intent with the doll than she thought when she realizes that they are near the food-stand faster than she thought.  She stayed silent as Toushiko ordered their food while mindful of the glance the stall owner is giving her.  At least he is more straightforward than the junk dealer.  As Toushiko lowers her down on the stool, Senah tries to maneuver herself and her good leg so that Toushiko would have an easier time getting her down.  She couldn't use her arm as it was holding the doll, and the other leg had the broken food so she was a bit limited in that regards.  She did feel a bit helpless in a sense that she can't do much at the moment and this briefly moment.

"Thank you for everything, Toushiko.   I will admit that I am feeling a bit down."  She sighs a bit.  "I suppose it is because I am not so used to being so inactive or ineffectual.  I am someone that is so used to being rather independent even if I do not have much that I am not used to being depending on another for my survival."  She cast a forlorn look down at her foot.  Though her voice sounds rather sad, it is not depressingly so.  She refuses to sink to that level of emotion so instead focuses on the food before her.
Back to top Go down
SoloWingPixy

SoloWingPixy

PostSubject: Re: Grass growing on rocks.   Grass growing on rocks. - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 5:39 pm

The doll was silent for a moment, mulling over what Senah had told it, before slowly repeating it back to her, as if hesitantly testing out her and Toushiko's names for the first time.

s-e-n-a-h-s-e-n-a-h-t-o-u-s-h-i-k-o-t-o-u-s-h-i-k-o

se-nah-se-nah-se-nah-tou-shi-ko-tou-shi-ko

senah-and-toushiko

The doll tilted its head to look up at Senah.

my-name-is

my-name-is

The doll paused.

hard-to-remember-not-think-name-in-long-time

Peering closely, Senah could almost swear that the doll looked like it was desperately trying to concentrate. Its eyes were pointed at nowhere in particular, and its head was tilted slightly in thought.

my-name-is

my-name-is

mary

yes

my-name-is-mary

Mary looked back up toward Senah.

it-is-nice-to-meet-you-senah

maybe-say-hello-to-scary-but-maybe-nice-life-taker-toushiko-later

Mary's eyes flickered toward the oni for a moment before zipping back to Senah.

not-know-where-friend-lives-from-here-but

Mary hesitated.

but

but-want-to-find-so-will-find-just-need-go-up-first

As they waited for their food to arrive, Toushiko glanced at the doll Senah was holding. It...it hadn't just moved, right? Even that junk dealer had quickly admitted it to be nothing more than a toy, or at least he claimed it was now.

The oni quickly brought her attention back to Senah as the girl admitted how downcast she was. "Yeah, I know exactly how ya feel," she said, nodding along with Senah's words. "Oni are a pretty independent people, y'know, and especially one like me, who goes up 'n' travels all along the surface..." She sighed. "Bein' stuck relyin' so much on someone else like that would drive me crazy in a day."

Toushiko reached over and rested her hand on Senah's shoulder with a reassuring smile. "But don't worry about it. Trust me when I say that the doc is a freakin' miracle worker," she said with a chuckle. "He'll have ya back on yer feet in no time...uh, pun not intended."

Toushiko turned back at the sound of something clanking against the counter, whereupon she saw that their food had arrived: two full plates of grilled fish and vegetables with dipping sauce, with another plate of thick noodles on the side, topped with tempura shrimp. With a grin of anticipation, she promptly pushed all the food to the side toward Senah, and reached forward to take the bottle the oni chef was handing her.

She hummed happily to herself as she read the label. "Ah, Itsuki, truly you put the master in brewmaster..." she sighed, as if lovestruck. She glanced at the food she pushed in front of Senah. "That's all for you, y'know," she said. "Eat as much as ya like! I ain't hungry, I'll just nibble at the leftovers."

As Toushiko wrenched off the bottle's cap and started downing the hard liquor inside, Mary broke her thoughtful silence once more.

are-you-sad-senah-?

you-are-friend-friend-should-be-happy-always

Mary slowly wrapped her arms around Senah's hand again, giving it a gentle squeeze.

eat-supposed-make-friend-happy-right-?

should-eat-food-be-happy-please-friend

Back to top Go down
Dataslycer

Dataslycer

PostSubject: Re: Grass growing on rocks.   Grass growing on rocks. - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 22, 2018 12:03 am

I am eager to return to the surface as you are, Mary

Ah so that is her name.  It is a pretty name and quite fitting.  She hopes that soon she can get Mary to this friend to fit her so she will be as pretty as the name.  Later on she will also be able to tell Toushiko about the doll but for now not yet as Mary is still hesitant about the oni.

She takes a bite from the meal.  She hasn't tasted seafood for a while now as she is very used to being inland within the forest but she did like the flavor and touch the chef done.  She wasn't aware of it during the time due to her internal conflict with missing the surface but she was was actually pretty hungry.  Although her bites were small, she was eating at a fairly constant pace.  She did pause for a moment to swallow her food before looking at Toushiko.  

"That is good.  I cannot wait until I can be able to walk on my own again."  Though she continues to speak with the soft tone as she always has been before, this time it was filled with excitement.  She pauses to think on what Toushiko says.  "If you do not mind me asking, what is it that you do on the surface?"  She inquire, trying to take her mind off of her current predicament, including briefly looking at what Toushiko is drinking though that was pushed aside as she doesn't think she could be able to handle what the oni is drinking even if she is a drinker.

The distraction cause her to miss Mary's movement to go her hand before she felt the touch of the doll's embrace, her heart soften as her friend comforts her.  Thank you, Mary.  I will try not to stay sad.  Even within the misfortune from the golems to falling almost vertically off the cliff, there has been some saving grace of her being very fortunate to meet Toushiko and Mary, both supporting her in their own way. And she resumes eating the seafood plate with gusto. For having such a small frame, she does have quite an appetite.
Back to top Go down
SoloWingPixy

SoloWingPixy

PostSubject: Re: Grass growing on rocks.   Grass growing on rocks. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2019 2:14 am

As always, Mary's neutral expression and mechanical tone of voice remained unchanged, but even Senah could sense the doll's happiness at seeing her eat with more enthusiasm. The doll kept hugging her hand as she ate the hearty meal set before her, as if trying to encourage her to keep going.

thank-you-senah-you-happy-make-me-happy-because-friend

Though most of Mary's body was hidden from Toushiko's line of sight, the doll didn't dare make any larger movements for fear of being noticed by the oni. Instead, Mary simply stayed as she was, clinging to Senah's arm with her embrace.

Not that the oni in question was paying any attention to her, anyway. Instead, Toushiko was leaning her elbow on the counter, idly swinging her half-empty bottle back and forth as she thought for a moment before answering Senah's question. "Well, I guess the answer to that's kinda..." she trailed off. "...everything?" She chuckled. "Truth is, I don't actually spend as much time down here as ya might think. Most a' the time, I'm up there," she said, lazily pointing a finger up toward the 'sky', "travelin' around to see the sights, find the best drinks, and a' course, fight the craziest damn fights I can get m'self into!"

Toushiko swept her arm out for dramatic effect. "It's the good life, I tell ya!" she grinned. "Livin' how I want, doin' what I want, and havin' a good damn time with everyone around all the while!" She barked out a hearty laugh, causing Mary to subtly flinch on Senah's arm. A few nearby patrons gave her odd looks before soon returning their meals.

The oni gave another chuckle. "So, ah, yeah. Askin' what I do kinda makes it sound like I've got some sorta job up there, which ain't the case at all. I go up there 'cause I wanna explore! Y'know, to meet people like you!" she chirped, clapping Senah a bit too forcefully on the back.

"And speakin' a' you, look at that appetite!" She laughed at the sight of Senah's rapidly-disappearing food. "Guess you were hungrier than ya thought, eh? At this rate, we'll be done here in no time."

Back to top Go down
Dataslycer

Dataslycer

PostSubject: Re: Grass growing on rocks.   Grass growing on rocks. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2019 7:39 pm

Senah kept the arm prose and held it still so it seems like she is being careful with a fragile inanimate doll, though more also so that Mary would be remain close enough to embrace her arm. She find herself really liking her proximity and affection. Unfortunate it was speaking with Mary and Toushiko at the same time was taking much of her attention and now adding to the fact that she is also eating make it impossible to pay attention to all of them especially when Toushiko's volume wanted to hog much of it.

"Well...I was asking because....I haven't really been around very long since I left my home 19 days ago so I am...what is the term the outside world say 'Fish out of water' so in a sense that you know more able the surface more than I do ironically? I am not sure what to expect up there...and I did not anticipate being chased by giants made out of metal into the cave entrance that led me here." She frowns as she recalls how she ended up in the predicament that led her to fall deep down to where Toushiko found her. While she got to find a new civilization down here along with meeting Mary and Toushiko, she does NOT want to re-experienced being chased by the animated again.
Back to top Go down
SoloWingPixy

SoloWingPixy

PostSubject: Re: Grass growing on rocks.   Grass growing on rocks. - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 22, 2019 2:47 am

At the mention of "giants", Toushiko froze for a moment, going bug-eyed as she coughed and sputtered on her drink. "I-I'm sorry, what?" she asked incredulously, turning to stare at Senah. "You said you were chased by...'giants made out of metal'? Am I hearin' you right?"

After a moment, she let out a laugh, turning back to her drink. "Well...I dunno where you're plannin' on goin' when we head back up, but you gotta tell me where those giants are later. I am not missin' out on a fight like that!"

Meanwhile, Mary was quiet for a moment as she pondered Senah's words.

metal-giant

Mary clutched Senah's arm just a bit tighter.

sound-scary-like-armor-life-taker-took-me-hope-not-as-scary

Back to top Go down
Dataslycer

Dataslycer

PostSubject: Re: Grass growing on rocks.   Grass growing on rocks. - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2019 6:01 pm

Senah's eyes widen at Toushiko's sudden excitement of facing that metallic monstrosity, the same thing that caused her much grief. Just thinking about considering to return to that spot where the golem had reside causes her to fidget in discomfort. Onis are truly beings of combat! "The metal giant...it was at the cave leading to the cliff I fell off of. The one where you found me at. It was blocking me from going back to the surface. Is that the closest exit to the surface." Senah's head turned towards the general direction where she think that cliff is.

Her thought was paused for a moment as Mary holds onto her tighter. She wanted to badly comfort the scared physical but was still fairly cautious of of her condition. Very scary, but I think Toushiko can defend us against the metal giant...She hopes. Again, she pushes the thought aside to eat a bit more, another major chunk of it disappears from Senah's ravenous appetite.

Back to top Go down
SoloWingPixy

SoloWingPixy

PostSubject: Re: Grass growing on rocks.   Grass growing on rocks. - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2019 9:34 pm

Toushiko shrugged. "It ain't really a matter a' distance, so much as where ya wanna go," she explained. "There are plenty a' paths we could pick to get back up to the surface, it just depends on where you were thinkin' of ending up."

The oni leaned back, taking another swig of her drink. "Of course, we gotta get your foot all fixed up, first. I was thinkin' of headin' over to the doc once we were done here." She eyed what little was left of Senah's food. "Which, uh, doesn't look like it'll take long."

Meanwhile, Mary didn't relax her hold, but her eyes did shift to glance at Toushiko for a moment before zipping back.

life-taker-toushiko-defend-from-scary-giant-?

Mary paused to consider this.

maybe-toushiko-not-life-taker-maybe-friend

Back to top Go down
Dataslycer

Dataslycer

PostSubject: Re: Grass growing on rocks.   Grass growing on rocks. - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 06, 2019 9:46 pm

"That sounds good.  Give me a moment to finish the rest of this."  45 seconds later the small portion of her food left is now gone and Senah places the utensils on the plate neatly crossed.  urp A cute tiny burp escapes from her lips from eating her meal a bit too fast, causing her to turn slightly red and look extremely embarassed murmuring a soft "Excuse me".  After a bit of an awkward delay from Senah.  She nods and smiles to Toushiko.  "OK I am ready now."

She carefully picks up Mary, again being careful not to aggravate the damage to the doll any further.  As she does so she considered Mary's word for a moment before replying mentally "I've only recently met Toushiko for a few hours now, not long eonugh to know of she fits as a life taker.  However, she has been very helpful to many for every single minute I've been here..  The druid's glances falls down to her ankle once more, a reminder of how close she was to meeting death, but also how Toushiko saved her life.  There was no question.  "She is definitely a friend."
Back to top Go down
SoloWingPixy

SoloWingPixy

PostSubject: Re: Grass growing on rocks.   Grass growing on rocks. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 14, 2019 4:44 am

Eyeing Senah's empty plate, Toushiko knocked back the rest of her drink before slamming the bottle on the counter with a grin. "Aaaaah, that's the good stuff," she sighed, taking a moment to appreciate the buzz settling in her head before pushing herself off her stool.

Slipping one arm under Senah's leg and another under her arms, Toushiko carefully lifted her up in a bridal carry. "Alrighty...upsy-daisy, kid!" She smiled down at Senah reassuringly, checking to make sure the girl was nice and comfortable before nodding to the oni chef and turning away from the food stall.

With that, they began making their way out of the market, the sights and smells of wares and food from all around the Underworld giving way to the familiar sight of oni dwellings packed along the streets, and the ever-present stench of sulfur in the air.

As they walked, Mary remained quiet, nestling herself further into the crook of Senah's arm. Toushiko, the big red life taker, definitely a friend? Could that really be...?

Back to top Go down
Dataslycer

Dataslycer

PostSubject: Re: Grass growing on rocks.   Grass growing on rocks. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 15, 2019 2:38 pm

Senah nods before she braced herself for Toushiko to life her up. She was slightly sad that they have to start to head out again. The chat with Toushiko, Mary, and the good food momentarily made her forget the predicament that she was in. Unfortunately, her injury was not going to heal by itself and the underworld was still a rather hostile environment for someone like her. She briefly winced as some movement caused her ankle to flare up in pain monetarily before it subsided before sighing. "What is the doctor like?" She asked the oni, a bit of apprehension within her voice, again throwing a glance down at her foot.
Back to top Go down
SoloWingPixy

SoloWingPixy

PostSubject: Re: Grass growing on rocks.   Grass growing on rocks. - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2019 2:57 am

"The doc? Well, he's, ah..." Toushiko pursed her lips for a moment, considering just how to describe that...particular individual. "Let's see. He's got a shit bedside manner, crap taste in sake, and honestly, he's just a crusty ol' bastard all-around," she spat, glancing down at Senah to see her reaction.

After a second, the oni cracked a grin. "Oh, yeah, and he's the one guy been keepin' our part a' town alive for the past couple centuries," she said with a chuckle. "I said it before, and I'll say it again: guy's a miracle worker. I ain't seen a smile on his face in years, but he'll get the job done good, y'can trust me on that."

Meanwhile, Mary remained silent, though judging by her tight clinging and subtle trembling, it wasn't a sign of her being lost in thought. Looking around, Senah could see that they were once again walking among the oni, many of whom were shooting none-too-subtle glares toward Toushiko. Not once was she cowed by them, however, striding forward with a confident smile on her face, as if daring anyone to tell her otherwise.

Apparently, no oni thought it was worth the trouble, as they continued unimpeded through the village. Eventually, Toushiko stopped in front of one of the houses, noticeably bigger than most of the others. A large stone-carved sign was mounted above the entrance, emblazoned with calligraphy Senah could only guess the meaning of. "Well, here's the place!" Toushiko announced, looking down at Senah. "So, y'ready to meet the good doctor yourself?"

Back to top Go down
Dataslycer

Dataslycer

PostSubject: Re: Grass growing on rocks.   Grass growing on rocks. - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 28, 2019 8:45 pm

Senah herself was pretty unnerved by the stares that she was given by the other onis. They were bearing down at her or Toushiko; she wasn't sure which but both prospect was equally scary. As a druid of the forest, she wasn't a stranger to danger but with the injury still lingering, she was at a severe disadvantage and she wasn't sure if Toushiko could fend them off and protect her. Worse, they may even harm Mary. At that thought, she instinctively moved her arm to protect the doll. The motion looked like she is cradling it in fear. Fortunate, nothing happened at the end.

She breathed a sigh of relief as they stopped by a dwelling. This is where they were suppose to be. Her eyes moved immediately to the symbols near the entrances and studied them for a moment Unfortunate none of her lores helped her recognize their meaning so she decided to divert her attention back to Toushiko. She nodded in response to Toushiko's, though still looked a bit apprehensive. "Is there anything that displeases him that I need to avoid doing?"
Back to top Go down
SoloWingPixy

SoloWingPixy

PostSubject: Re: Grass growing on rocks.   Grass growing on rocks. - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2019 12:59 am

Toushiko shrugged. "Y'don't seem much for sass, so ya got nothin' to worry about," she said, walking toward the entrance. "Just be yer usual self an' do what the doc says, and you'll be just fine."

Pushing through the heavy drapes, the oni made her way inside, and Senah was greeted with the sight of what seemed to be a small waiting room. The walls and floor were made of the same black stone as the exterior, though smoothed out for the sake of comfort. There were many cushions and legless chairs set in place near the walls, just like those in Toushiko's home. Despite the accommodations, however, the only other presence in the room was a young blue oni sitting disinterestedly behind the counter opposite the entrance. He looked up at the sight of Toushiko coming in, wordlessly raising an eyebrow at the girl in her arms, and the doll in hers.

Toushiko's only response was her usual grin. "Hey, li'l buddy! Slow day, eh?" she chirped. "Ya wouldn't happen t'know where yer grandpappy's at, would ya? I've sorta got a..." She lifted Senah up a bit for emphasis. "...little lady here who went an' broke her ankle. I need the doc to get it set for healin'." The other oni stared at her for a few moments, before the sound of a door slamming open could be faintly heard from one of the two hallways behind him. He pointed his thumb toward that hall, then went back to reading his book. With a shrug, Toushiko followed his direction.

As Toushiko stepped into the hall, Senah was almost immediately greeted by the sight of another blue oni trudging toward them. This one looked much older than even Toushiko, his apparent age causing him to hunch over to the point of standing only a little taller than Senah herself. His wrinkled face looked permanently set in a frown, which only deepened when he set eyes on Toushiko.

Before Toushiko could say a word, the old oni immediately barked out something Senah couldn't understand at Toushiko. His raspy voice still carried strength behind it, and the glare he was giving her made his point quite clear regardless of language. Toushiko gave a chuckle, though it sounded a little forced to Senah's ears. "C'mon, doc, be nice. Least you can do is let her understand ya, right?"

The apparent doctor shifted his gaze toward Senah, and let out a tired sigh. "This is not...the first time she brings a broken human to me," he grumbled, "and I know it is not the last." Shuffling closer, he peered closer at Senah, with the same disregard for personal space shown by Akane earlier...and just like with Akane, Senah was nearly bowled over by the smell of alcohol. His gaze passed over her, searching for anything out of the ordinary, raising an eyebrow at the sight of her makeshift ankle brace. "I assume that is...the problem."

Back to top Go down
Dataslycer

Dataslycer

PostSubject: Re: Grass growing on rocks.   Grass growing on rocks. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2020 8:59 pm

The druid instinctively shied away from the proximity of the doctor, both from being up too close and from the scent of alcohol, neither of which she had gotten used to yet. Thankfully the examination wasn't too long before she briefly nodded to the doctor.

"Y-yes, I tumbled down a cliff near the entrance." She shivered briefly at the memory of that terrifying fall. "I think I also had a concussion as well. Had a dizziness moment and passed out...Um, I do not think I hit my head too hard though since I wasn't bleeding. I am extremely fortunate that I am still alive..." Senah laid out what she could remember. The only thing she forgot was the various wounds she had took tumbling down the incline.
Back to top Go down
SoloWingPixy

SoloWingPixy

PostSubject: Re: Grass growing on rocks.   Grass growing on rocks. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 29, 2020 3:18 am

The doctor snorted. "Yes...you are," he said dryly. "I make sure that...does not change." With his cursory examination over, the doctor turned around and beckoned for Toushiko to follow him past another set of hanging drapes into the next room. Pushing them aside, she entered right behind him.

The room was small and given only the most basic of furnishings, with a large mattress and pillow dominating a good chunk of the floor space. The doctor turned to Toushiko and cocked his head toward the makeshift bed before going to one of the cabinets and taking out various supplies. With a nod, Toushiko knelt down and gently placed Senah down on the bed, making sure not to agitate her injury any further.

Without looking away from the large bottle he was examining, the doctor spoke up. "You own money...for this, yes?" Toushiko froze, and her lips curled up in a sheepish smile. "W-well, uh...I-I mean..." She gave an awkward chuckle. "...I, I will! I just...don't have it right now," she explained. The doctor gave a long sigh, tinged with the weariness of one who's heard this many times before. "You are paying with...interest," he said. "As always."

With that matter apparently settled, the doctor turned and set down various supplies on a short, small table beside him. Rolls of linen bandages, various metal tools that Senah hoped she wouldn't have to see used, various other bottles and containers whose contents she could only guess the purpose of, and finally, the large glass bottle he'd been examining earlier. It was this last one that he took hold of with one hand as he knelt down beside Senah, propping up her head with his free hand. "Drink," he commanded. "If you are awake...you are screaming. But I do not...waste good medicine to fix that. So instead...strong alcohol."

Toushiko stared at the scene with a small frown on her face, but for once, she was silent, not raising any objections for Senah's sake. When she caught Senah's gaze, however, she offered as reassuring a grin as she could muster, complete with a thumbs-up. Meanwhile, Mary had remained still and silent all this time, even managing to suppress her trembling to the point that Senah could no longer feel it. It was as if she was deathly afraid of showing any sign of life when this unfamiliar oni was so close.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grass growing on rocks.   Grass growing on rocks. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Grass growing on rocks.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next